The Royal Albert Bridge Inn is situated on Wolseley Road, located close to the Tamar Bridge, fronting the River Tamar. This waterfront area is extremely popular with visitors to the Plymouth area and particularly popular as a stop over with coach parties visiting the South West. The ‘RABI’ is a very well known Freehouse, steeped in history as briefly summarised below.
Quite how long there has been an Inn on this site is uncertain. Until 1961 and the building of the Tamar Bridge, a regular ferry service had operated across the river from Esses Torre or Ashtorre (Saltash) dating back to medieval days at least. The ferry itself was known as Ash Torre Passage and the road that runs behind the inn was for centuries the main road from Cornwall to Plymouth. (Indeed, until this century, this part of St. Budeaux was part of Cornwall). Perhaps the earliest documented record of the Inn is from 1821 when as the Dock Inn, it was sold to Francis James, victualler, for the sum of £295. Doubtless dating back in its present form to the 18th Century, the Inn underwent a name change in 1823 in keeping with the town of Dock itself which was given its charter and became Devonport that same year. In those days the ferry ran along the line now taken by the Royal Albert Bridge and it was only when work began on BruneI's masterpiece that the ferry's path moved down to what became the Ferry House Inn. Although Brunel and his engineers had begun work in 1818 it was not until 1859 that the bridge was completed. The following year the Devonport Inn became the Royal Albert Bridge Inn.
An attractive two storey terraced building under a pitched slate roof with front elevation overlooking the River Tamar. Feature porch entrance and outside seating to the front of the building. Separate Store/Garage.